STUDY IN SMU
Embark on a transformative journey to discover your potential in the heart of Singapore and Asia.
Spend up to two academic terms studying at Singapore’s only City Campus university
Experience SMU's interactive pedagogy and experiential learning in small, seminar-style classes
Tackle real-world challenges through interdisciplinary SMU-X courses
Grow a diverse network of friends and contacts in Singapore, your gateway to Asia
As a global city university, SMU provides you with the unique opportunity to learn in the very heart of Singapore. Come experience our technology-enhanced, interactive and experiential pedagogy and exchange perspectives with our international community of faculty and students. Spend one or two academic terms in Singapore on exchange if you are a student of one of our partner universities.
SMU had resumed in-person semester exchange since AY 2021/22 Term 2 and welcomes international students to join us on campus for face-to-face classes. Singapore has transitioned to living with COVID-19, and students and partners are advised to refer to this Ministry of Health webpage for the latest safe management measures in Singapore, and to the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority webpage for the latest border requirements.
Established in 2000, the Singapore Management University (SMU) is internationally recognised for its teaching excellence and world-class research that addresses Asian issues of global relevance. Our distinctive pedagogy of small class sizes and seminar-style teaching in our lush city campus, set within the heart of Singapore's cosmopolitan cityscape, offer a transformative education to help you discover your fullest potential.
Why choose SMU?
Why choose Singapore?
Plan Your Journey
1 DURING APPLICATION
SMU as your choice destination through your home university
an online application to SMU
SMU's letter of acceptance
2 BEFORE ARRIVAL
for your Student's Pass (visa)
accommodation in Singapore
for your courses at SMU
3 AFTER ARRIVAL
Orientation at SMU
yourself in the SMU student experience
in end of term celebrations
Dates and Duration
The International Student Exchange Programme (ISEP) is applicable for a duration of one term or two study terms. Each term lasts 16 weeks, including a week-long mid-term break and two weeks of revision and examinations.
Please refer to the SMU Academic Calendar here.
- Applicants must have completed at least one academic year of undergraduate studies.
- Applicants must continue to be a registered undergraduate in their home university throughout the period of study at SMU.
- Applicants must fulfil the English language proficiency requirement by SMU.
English Language Proficiency
The language of instruction at SMU is English. Students from non-English-speaking countries or from institutions whereby the language of instruction is not English, must fulfil SMU’s English language proficiency requirement. Please consult your home university for further advice.
- Applications for ISEP are made through the student’s home university. Applicants are then nominated by their respective home universities to SMU.
- SMU will send further instructions for the nominated students to complete and submit their applications to SMU.
- Applicants are required to provide the following supporting documents together with the online application. Only documents in English will be accepted.
- Photo identification page of passport (passport MUST have a validity of no less than six-months from the end-date of the intended academic term). Expired passports, or passports with less than the required validity period WILL NOT be accepted.
- Latest academic transcript from the home university.
- English Language Proficiency Certificate (applicable to students whereby the language of instruction of the home university is not English).
- Passport-sized colour photograph (taken within the last three months).
- Successful applicants will receive an Official Letter of Acceptance and further instructions for the application of the Student's Pass (student visa).
|Class Format and Size||Interactive seminar-style comprising 35 to 45 students|
|Course Load||Minimum: 2.0 SMU credits; Maximum: 4.0 SMU credits|
|Course Assessment||Including but not limited to class attendance, class participation, individual and group projects, presentations, mid-term tests and final examinations|
|Class Attendance & Participation||Mandatory for all classes; absence must be supported by medical certification or valid reasons, and are subjected to the approval of the teaching instructor|
Students may choose from a list of selected undergraduate courses. The final course list will be sent to students approximately two weeks before course enrolment. Only undergraduate courses are offered to exchange/visiting students (Course Codes 001-499, 1200-4038).
For more information on course description and outlines, please visit the SMU Course Catalogue. Please note that the catalogue is for reference only, as not all courses are offered.
- Select the corresponding Academic Year and Term
- Select the desired course
- Select ‘View Class Section’
- Click on the Course Outline icon
Course enrolment is done via a bidding process. Course enrolments are not guaranteed and are subjected to SMU’s academic policies and the following conditions:
- Availability of vacancies
- Fulfilment of course pre-requisites, if applicable
- Course demand and bidding outcome
Students are encouraged to be proactive and flexible in their study plans. To optimise the bidding opportunities, students should:
- Obtain pre-approval for more courses than needed from the home university.
- Ensure that they have fulfilled the pre-requisites for the necessary courses, if applicable, before bidding.
The SMU campus is situated in the heart of the city, with many private housing options within walking distance. It is conveniently accessible to amenities and transportation networks. Students have the flexibility to source and arrange their own accommodation based on individual budget and needs. All arrangements are at the responsibility and discretion of the student.
- Students are required to read and understand all terms and conditions of the housing rental agreement before committing to the lease. The SMU Centre for Global Education and Opportunities (GEO) does not seek to represent either party in any disputes arising from the rental / lease agreement.
- For rental of private apartments /condominiums, it is important that students read and understand Singapore’s governing policies on short-term rental. Find out more from the Singapore Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) website.
In accordance with the student exchange agreement with our partner universities, exchange students are not required to pay tuition fee to SMU. However, other administrative fees are applicable i.e. Student’s Pass (Visa), Miscellaneous Fee etc.
Student’s Pass (Student Visa) Fee
There will be a non-refundable processing fee of S$30 for each application, a S$60 issuance fee for the Student's Pass and a S$30 fee for a Multiple Journey Visa (if applicable). Approval is subject to terms and conditions.
A one-time miscellaneous fee of approximately S$250 per term or S$400 per year is applicable. The fee includes the cost for the SMU Medical Insurance, IT services, registration and matriculation as well as student activities. The miscellaneous fee is mandatory and non-refundable.
Estimated Monthly Expenses
The estimated monthly living expenses for an exchange / visiting student in Singapore is approximately S$1,800–S$3,000. Listed below are some expected monthly expense items.
|Accommodation (subjected to type of accommodation)||S$900 - S$1,500|
|Food||S$600 - S$800|
|Transportation||S$100 - S$200|
|Telecommunications||S$30 - S$50|
|Book and Stationery||S$50 - S$100|
|Miscellaneous (entertainment etc.)||S$100 - S$300|
Singapore is a multicultural and cosmopolitan country, consistently lauded for our excellence in quality of living and safety. Learn more about living in Singapore here.
The laws in Singapore may differ from those in your home country. Understand the types of items that are prohibited (such as drugs and electronic cigarettes), controlled or dutiable in Singapore at this Immigration and Checkpoints Authority Singapore webpage.
All international students are required to hold a valid Student’s Pass during their term of studies in Singapore. The Student’s Pass enables the student to live and study in Singapore, as well as serves as a multiple-entry visa into Singapore (subject to terms & conditions).
The SMU Centre for Global Education and Opportunities (GEO) will facilitate the application of the Student's Pass. Nevertheless, students shall bear the responsibility to complete and fulfil the application requirements for the Student’s Pass before their arrival in Singapore. More information on the Student’s Pass application will be provided two months before the start of the academic term.
For information on immigration matters that may affect your stay in Singapore, please visit Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority website.
By regulation, Student’s Pass holders (exchange & visiting students) are strictly not permitted to undertake any form of internship or work (regardless paid or unpaid) during their term of studies in Singapore. Offenders are subjected to punishment in accordance with Singapore laws.
It is mandatory for all students to purchase the SMU Medical Insurance. The cost for this insurance is included in the SMU Miscellaneous Fee. Find out more about the SMU Medical Insurance here.
- SMU Medical Insurance coverage is applicable within Singapore only
- The SMU Medical Insurance does not cover personal travel/leisure trips out of Singapore. Students are strongly advised to purchase travel insurance at their own cost and discretion.
If you wish to purchase additional medical, accident and travel insurance coverage, please consult your local insurance provider.
International SOS (ISOS)
SMU has engaged the services of International SOS to offer 24/7 assistance to our students in case of an emergency locally or while overseas. Students are strongly encouraged to download the ISOS mobile app. In case of an emergency, students may seek assistance via the app or contact the ISOS 24-hour hotline at +65 6337 6517, or the SMU Campus Security at +65 6828 0343.
For more information on the International Student Exchange Programme, please see our frequently asked questions (FAQs).
HEAR NEW PERSPECTIVES
"... meeting people from different nationalities and cultures constantly has improved my interpersonal skills. The ability to experience a new diverse culture has also broadened my horizons, made me more open-minded and probably more ambitious."
Joshua Ranulf Edward Douglas
University of Bath
"SMU welcomes students from all around the world and you will get many new friends from different backgrounds. My experience has helped me be more open-minded and understanding towards other people, cultures and values."
Anna Ellen SVENSSON
"I really loved SMU and the Singapore experience. I appreciate the opportunity given by my home university and SMU to spend a semester here, and I am open to returning for Masters."
"Living in Singapore for a semester was an incredible experience and SMU is truly a great university. The professors, thanks to their professional experience, have a unique way of teaching us and I really enjoyed that."
Héloïse Mhairi Astrid Lefebvre
Paris Dauphine University
"I learnt a great deal about how business and particularly the focus of my degree can be expanded internationally. The insight from professors on the positioning of Singapore in the international market was extremely interesting and beneficial."
University College Dublin
"By placing weightage on class participation and presentations, SMU has helped me think quicker on my feet and be confident of speaking my thoughts to the class, in a clear yet precise manner."
University of New South Wales
The Visiting Student Programme offers students from universities that do not have exchange agreements with SMU the opportunity to study in SMU on a fee-paying basis.
Speak to our Inbound Programme Team
We are committed to furthering your learning journey towards global citizenship.
If you have any questions regarding Student Exchange in SMU, reach out to us at email@example.com.
Follow us on Instagram for the latest news!