SINO-SINGAPORE UNDERGRADUATE EXCHANGE PROGRAMME
Highly subsidised and non-credit bearing programme
Represent Singapore alongside peers from NUS, NTU and SUTD
Visit universities, companies and cultural sites across two cities in China
Forge friendships with fellow students in China and play host to them in Singapore
The Sino-Singapore Undergraduate Exchange Programme (SSUE) is spearheaded by the Ministries of Education of China and Singapore. Students from both countries enjoy an immersive experience and gain insights into each other’s perspectives and way of life, while nurturing cross-cultural friendships.
Please check this webpage again in 2023 for updated news on the Sino-Singapore Undergraduate Exchange Programme.
Chart Your Journey
1 APPLICATION PROCESS
an online application
your offer to SSUE
2 CHINA SEGMENT
sub-committees to plan for various activities
pre-departure briefings organised by MOE and SMU
yourself in the interactive programme with peers from Singapore and China
3 SINGAPORE SEGMENT
to host your friends from China to the sights and sounds of Singapore
your knowledge of Singapore’s many cultures and peoples through a curated programme
cross-cultural friendships and understanding at a farewell dinner hosted by MOE
We are looking for 12 student leaders who will serve as ambassadors of SMU in the programme.
- Singaporean citizen
- SMU Undergraduate students (Year 1 to Year 4)
- Comfortable to converse in Mandarin
- Articulate, open-minded, strong desire to learn and share knowledge
- Keen interest in current affairs in China
- Must fully commit to the entire programme (both in China and in Singapore)
- Preferably hold a special talent(s) or skill(s), such as singing, playing musical instrument, drama, photography, videography and designing etc
- Friendly and welcoming personality; students will be expected to play hosts to Chinese students when they visit Singapore
Note: Students who will be filing/have filed for graduation this term, or on internship during Part 1 and Part 2 are not eligible to apply.
Part 1 - China (Outbound - SMU students going to China) - 2 weeks in May
Part 2 - Singapore (Inbound - Chinese students visiting Singapore) - 2 weeks in July
- Academic lectures
- Visits to participating Chinese universities
- Networking session with local students
- Excursions to places of interests
- Visits to government organisations and private companies
Accommodation, meals and programme-related travel in China are provided.
Participating students will receive 60% sponsorship of airfare, and will only need to pay remaining 40% of the airfare (approx. between S$600 - S$700). Students are required to budget for their own personal expenses (approx. S$20 per day, depending on individual spending habits).
Note: Students must travel to and fro China together and not make individual arrangements.
You have the assurance of round-the-clock assistance from SMU’s emergency service provider while you are overseas. Students are highly encouraged to download the ISOS mobile application.
SMU provides university-wide corporate travel insurance for all students travelling overseas to participate in qualified global exposure activities. For more details on SMU’s travel insurance, see here.
Hear New Perspective
"Seeing first-hand the results of China’s rapid development taught me that constant change is inevitable and inspired me to become more adaptable to thrive in dynamic situations."
Bachelor of Social Sciences
SSUE 2018, Tianjin and Xi’An
"The visits and lessons at the local Chinese universities helped broaden our perspectives on Chinese history, culture and economy. "
Toh Xiu Jin
Bachelor of Accountancy
SSUE 2017, Nanjing and Yunnan
"Other than forging close friendships with undergraduates from other Singapore universities, interacting with the Chinese students made me understand that despite differences, cross-cultural understanding and empathy will always bind us together."
Bachelor of Business Management
SSUE 2019, Sichuan and Hunan
Speak to our SMU Short-term Study Programme Team
We are committed to furthering your learning journey towards becoming global-ready and responsible citizens.
If you have any questions about Short-Term programmes in SMU, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org